A majority of the immune system is located in the gut. A cancer patient will have a weakened immune system which also means poor digestion. Those who are doing or have done chemotherapy will have weakened digestion as well. I sometimes experience bloating even after eating a raw, vegan meal because my stomach is sensitive.
What to do when a bout of bloating occurs:
- Lie down with your knees bent, feet on the floor. You can leave your knees up or drop them to the sides, if you are flexible enough. Place your hands flat on your stomach. Relax, breathe fully and deeply, feeling your hands move with the breathing. The energy from your hands will stimulate digestion. Shortly after, you notice sounds and will feel activity. This usually doesn’t take long to work, just about 10 to 15 minutes. This works every time. You can also pull a knee up to the armpit on the same side. Hold for a 1 minute and breathe into it. Switch sides.
- Rub your stomach in a circular motion clockwise. This is the direction your intestinal tract runs.
- Drink a carbonated beverage like Pellegrino or kombucha.
- Take a walk. Getting movement into your body will help the gas get out. 20 to 30 minutes should do it.
- Drink ginger tea or hot lemon water.
- Take an epsom salt bath for 30 minutes.
- Relax. Avoid stress as this restricts the digestive tract. Notice if your body becomes tense and release the tension through breathwork
To prevent bloating from happening in the future, see this article.